I understand the hang-ups... believe me; I've grown up cherishing every word of the Scriptures, and know which ones might be talking about me... and I understand the way my brothers and sisters see things... What makes me so sad is how the community I love, to which I will always belong, tends to fall into old, worn-out, hatred on issues like this. It really doesn't bother me so much that many men and women around the world who would gladly have me serve in their ministries would also choke and yell "repent" if they understood my "psychology." The fact is, I love my community. I love them. I want to serve them, and in all of that, serve my King. He's a lot nicer they are, and very worth serving.
But here I am, loving the very people who hate me the most. I support the Church, even though it, by and large, would not support me. I hope, someday, that I might have a role to play there. If I navigate this whole, non-transition thing, I would be as much a contradiction to them (doing what they want on the outside, but refusing to on the inside) as I am to those who have been hated by Christians.
For the behavior of my community, I am very, very, sorry. I do not excuse their hatred for you and me, or anyone else. It is very easy to judge other people when you've been convicted as to the waywardness of your own heart. It's the wrong response, but one that we are all very good at... I've done that myself, on other issues, so I can't really blame them for doing it too... I just don't hate them back, I guess... and hopefully, maybe, some day it won't be so bad...
Thanks for reading, and much love!
-Hailey-
PS: So if you have questions, by the way, especially theological ones, or "how could God..." sorts of things, I think you'll find me a fairly neutral source. I have not been through seminary or anything, but I've spent a lot of time and energy on the topics; more of an educated layman than an expert; but conversations with laymen are sometimes more helpful than lectures from experts. =) I'd like to think that I can do some good in defusing some of the tension, even if it's only one-sided for now. (The Church will take some time...)
No comments:
Post a Comment