Well, the tally is up to three now, not including myself and my wife. I was able to talk to my brother-in-law across the pond yesterday, and talked to my dad-in-law about an hour ago.
So far, so good, I guess. Everyone's made it abundantly clear that they still love me and my family, and all that. It probably helps quite a bit that I'm not transitioning... no pronoun or name changes, etc... That's hardest on me, obviously, but easiest on everyone else; which is whole point.
I'm exhausted though... emotional maelstrom... It really doesn't help that this is finals week (I'm in a PhD program... first year...). We wanted to give everyone as much time as possible before we actually see them at Christmas. I didn't want to come out on Christmas either, or somehow try to wait till afterward... I'd just be crying most of it anyway... We're not telling anyone else, for the moment. Everyone needs to process a bit (me included!... I'm not invisible anymore... very strange...) and we want to let the initial emotional swirl calm down a bit. After that, we can see where we are at, and go from there. I'm praying that I can sleep finally... we'll see, I guess. It would certainly benefit my final exam scores next week. =)
Next Up: Well, again, we're going to wait and see how this works out first, but, theoretically, our new friends (coworkers and.. hmm... church??? for instance) will be next. Since we've newly arrived in this part of the country, we're building a new circle of friends already, and we want it to be one that knows what's going on... otherwise we'd just have to start again anyway. Best to do it from the ground up. I'm sure there will be people who aren't as interested in my friendship (or my wife's), but it'll be better to know that now, than after having invested our hearts and lives.
Whew... I need a break... from life... hmm... well, at least the worst of the anxiety is done, phone calls having been made. I think the emotions will calm from here (with serious ups and downs, no doubt).
(Sorry this is a pretty sporadically written post... I'm very tired, heart, mind, soul, and body. To all the dear, beautiful girls (and guys!) in this position, past, present and future, I send my sincerest, warmest sympathies... its very hard, isn't it?)
Love,
-Hailey-
No comments:
Post a Comment