Thanks for Visiting!

Thanks so much for visiting my little invisible corner of the digital world. I'd love to make a few friends, so feel free to comment anywhere, even just to say hi.

Much love,

-Hailey-

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Non-Transitioning

There are a lot of reasons for a choice like transitioning from one body to another. Each story is filled with it's own mix of stresses, wishes, and road-blocks... and at the end of all the soul-searching, many people make the leap. For me though, there continues to be a difference.

It doesn't matter how many times I ask myself the questions, or how many ways I try to write the outcomes... once all is said and done, and as hard as it is to come to the same conclusion again and again, I still think the right decision for me is to continue living my life as it has always been. It hurts, often unbearably, but the pain still adds up to less than the cost of transitioning.

For clarity, I ought to say that by non-transitioning, I mean that I am not living in any way as the female that I believe (I think) I am. My XY body is as convincing as the next, and through the three decades of my life, I've become quite skilled at playing the role. I don't have any girl clothes or makeup, and as far as anyone has ever known, I'm a well-adjusted man.

Well Adjusted. How many times have I heard people speak of me that way. It is sadly ironic, tragic even, how bad we are at summing people up from their appearances. Probably the better way of labeling me would be, “...considering the life-long emotional turmoil and fear that she has had to live with, Hailey is not too badly adjusted...” Its like being surprised that a smashed car still drives... sort of...

But nobody sees the battered car with its shattered windows... They see “well-adjusted” me; the XY Boy, on the outside. I wish it weren't that way... I cry and pray and wish... but what can I ask, that people can see my soul instead of my body? It can't be.

Still, the question remains, why is it that I'm not transitioning?

Love is the answer. I am not alone. If I were, it would not matter what I looked like, after all. But I am with people. I am married, and have three children, and a really wonderful set of family and friends. Furthermore, and more importantly, I am a very convinced Christian. (Please bear with me here... I know a lot of Christians have some pretty negative things to say about transitioning... I am not one of them.)

My wife has known for several years, and she's been phenomenally graceful. It is very hard on her too, harder than I can bear, some times. She loves me as a man..., the man she's always known and always sees. I know there are some partnerships out there where permission with acceptance is possible, but that comes down to how each of us is wired. That story is not our story. My wife loves me to death, but she is terrified of what it would be like to live with me in an XX-styled body. I will not subject her, purposefully, to shame and fear. The peace I might otherwise gain from finally being outwardly congruent with my own self-image would be completely lost by the turmoil I would create. The net gain would be emotional rejection... and I am one who has borne enough of that in my life already...

She is not the only reason though. It is possible that some day, she will be happy enough with it all that for her own sake, not much would be lost. But even if that were the case, my children are in another category. I am not sure what kind of life a kid would be forced to live if their dad couldn't be called dad anymore. I can certainly imagine how I might have reacted to a similar change in my own parents. Shame is a terribly destructive force in human hearts. I love my kids like nothing else in the world. The thought of the probable shame they would bear each day of their lives; at any mention of coming home, meeting parents, asking after family... even getting a family Christmas photo... The alienation would be unbearable for me, and the life-long uncertainty and loss of that parental relationship would be a sad loss for them. Certainly it is possible that they would grow up with a more understanding world-view than the world at large, but that does not necessarily translate into the same relationship they can have with good-old “Dad.” A caveat, of course, is if I were to live as a sullen, depressed sort of Dad... which would be worse probably, than a happy second...mother???, but I'm not really like that.

It pains me deeply to think that my kids will never really know me, but at the same time, I remember that no child really ever knows their parents completely. No matter what they're like, they'll always be “mom and dad,” in some way or another. They don't need to love me and care about me as deeply and dearly as I do of them. Even if I had been an XX girl and borne them myself, that would still be true.

Lastly, my faith applies here. I love Jesus, and He has been more dear to me than any other person I have known. I believe His words about how we should live, and know absolutely that the best parts of my life are a result of me giving up bits of myself to live more like He does. It has always been better for me to love others than to love myself, and so it is in this case. If ever I decide that my own plight is more important than the lives of those ones who love me most, I will have lost an awful lot more of myself getting to that point than I could ever gain by transitioning. I would rather be a loving XY girl than a selfish XX girl, because, after all, it is what is inward that drives us, not what is outward. I like who I am, even in this body, so I cannot sacrifice who I am on the inside to become just another body on the outside.

Finally, I will also die, one day, and on that day, I will shed all these burdens and see the One I love. It will take a while... a long long while... but at the end of it, I think I'll finally be His girl, if we even care about our gender when we are with Him. No one else who is there will care either, which is an awful lot different than the people who are here. So non-transitioning is not forever... real life is forever, and we will not be broken when we are truly alive.

So there's my story... without all the history leading up to it. Certainly if I had been born 15 years later, with all the treatments they have now for pre-teens, and if I had been part of a very different (tolerant) family, I would have transitioned.  But we can all tell "what if" stories, and they've never gotten any of us anywhere.  Besides, I would not, even now, go back if I could.  To lose the life I've had with my wife, and to never have met these three children... it would not be worth it.  The dysphoria is aweful... and it will always be that way... but it will always be worth it, and my soul can be still, knowing that He made me with a purpose, and bears the pain along with me, knowing, in His great wisdom, what will have been gained by the long sacrifice.  



(please comment if you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear from you!)


(Later Edit)
PS: A little more on this topic: http://haileygirlme.blogspot.com/2012/11/in-pressure-cooker.html
PPS: And a little more, changing the plan a bit http://haileygirlme.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-i-told-my-mom.html

15 comments:

  1. "I am not sure what kind of life a kid would be forced to live if their dad couldn't be called dad anymore."

    As someone whose father transitioned when I was 4 years old, this stung to read. :-/

    Twenty years ago, when our family went through this, it was just the way you thought it might be; the lying to others, the stress. But things are fairly progressive now, I don't think it would have to be hidden in the same way. Even if you choose not to transition, it's something you should at least talk to your children about, if they are old enough to understand. What hurts most is a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the lies. It's strange that hiding this part of me can seem so helpful to them, and at the same time, so deceptive. My wife and I have talked about it a bit, and keep coming down to two conclusions that seem "most likely to succeed."

    The first would be to tell them each as they became adults... not too late in life, but not so early that they have do deal with their own identities as well as mine (teenage years and before maybe?).

    The second is just not to say anything, ever. I'm not sure how this would go, but it seems, at least in a logical way, that it could never actually hurt them. That is to say, at least if I were not so emotionally degenerate in the end that it was hurting them without them knowing.

    Ultimately, I just don't know. I love them to death, and am willing to sacrifice an awful lot to buy them the loving, stable home I still wish I had had as a kid. This part of the struggle is one of the most confusing for me.

    Thanks so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would be way more hurt if I ever found out that one of my parents hid something this significant truth about themselves from me, than from the actual facing with the fact.
    When a family member transitions, in a way it's a transition for the whole family, because they have to face their own assumptions and beliefs about concepts of gender, sex and gender identity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is that possibility, I know. People react in so many different ways to things like this. It's hard for me to gauge, since I have always been so distant from my own parents, even as a kid. I think if one of them had come out with something (anything) in a similar vein, I would most likely have distanced myself even further. Likewise, if they are keeping some secret from me, it will have hardly mattered, since we are so distant.

      I hope my relationship with my own kids will be more like my LW's and her parents. Her whole family is extremely close, so any "shocking news" would be much more disruptive. It's hard to think that things would be better after something like that (imagining her Dad or Mom coming out with something) than they are already.

      My own reaction would be extremely accepting. I would be very sad that one of them had been so silent for so long... certainly not angry... but I am also and extremely tolerant person with regards to transgenderism and such (naturally!).

      Maybe it comes down to not wanting to take the chance that things would go badly, when, theoretically, by silence, things can just go "normally." If even one of my children could not accept me (and that's not unlikely), I don't think I could bear it. To end up like I am with my own parents is about the saddest thing I can think of for my future relationship with these little ones.

      Since I am never "out" in any way, and since my LW is silent on the matter, there really isn't the risk of them finding out unless we told them ourselves, which is a lot different than finding out in some other way.

      But the heartache is still real, and in the ideal, they would all be just as sad for my long, unnecessary silence as I would be. I hate to think I'm not optimistic enough to hope on ideals... but the whole thing is already so much less than perfect as it is...

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your blog - can I ask - does it *matter* whether your kids call you mum or dad? I ask because I have always been 'name dyslexic' ... growing up I always called everyone everyone-else's names! So Mum was frequently called Dad by me .. my brother I called Mum often .. you can see how it goes ...

    I still have problems with names - but I never forget a person or a face .. can remember people from my childhood even if they would never remember me. But names? So I'm saying - your kids know YOU who is YOU ...

    I mean ... yes I know this is a tiny aspect but ... in UK we say Mum and you over in USA say Mom ... and I might say ... Dad!

    I am atheist myself but respect your integrity ... integrity sometimes mean not being honest because of circumstances beyond your control, doesnt it?

    Best wishes
    Moodie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Moodie!

    Thanks for your note! I definitely hear what you are saying. I'm actually severely dyslexic myself, and have exactly the same problem with names; they're completely impossible for me, too!

    The caveats about my kids and what they call me are two-fold. The first is basically a problem with social confusion. To be called Dad from here on out gets embarrassing for some kids, because they don't want to have to out themselves as a kid of a transwoman every single time they say their parent's name in public. Some kids don't mind, but many do.
    The second is less important, since it only pertains to me. Being called 'Dad' never felt right to begin with. It reminds me constantly of this role and body that I "should have had" (a lie, of course), and is painful. I don't feel like a Dad... I'm just a mom, really.
    In any event, they're completely used to Maddy already. Neither one seems to have been any worse for the wear; kids are far more flexible than the rest of us, I think. =)
    I think another important aspect of this that is worth mentioning is that we asked the two of them what they wanted to call me. Out of many suggestions from all of us, they chose this one; and they really like that fact. "We decided to call her MADDY," my younger daughter (5) will tell people on the phone, when they ask about things. She seems quite proud of the fact. =)

    Hope that makes sense! Also, I'm semi-retiring this blog, in favor of my new website: sites.google.com/site/becominghaileyb

    All my love!

    -Hailey-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hailey
    I just read this posting from last October, and it sounded very much like things I have lived and tried so hard to handle. Add another three decades to the story, and remove the strong faith and we could be twins. I still suffer with my decision to not transition and while my wife has stayed with me, I know that my constant anguish diminishes what I bring to the marriage. I find a lot of fear of leaving this world as a male, but continue to try to remain in the belief that I'm doing the right thing. I have tremendous compassion for you but from my three extra decades with this urge you to not be so selfless that your pain overwhelms you. That has been the hardest thing for me. Love yourself so you can share that love with others. I haven't practiced the love thyself suggestion, and it taints my life and my love for others in my life.
    Love to you and hope for you to find peace yourself
    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Hailey,
    My story is similar as yours.. love my wife been married long time two grown kids with grand kids..and I still suffer.
    I almost transitioned at 29 was cleared to go and decided to stay the course in a man's body.
    Now in my 50's I feel trapped by pride. I am actually a handsome guy and know I would never pass well as a woman so I understand the gain vs. loss analysis you have made.. I have done the same. I only hope one day I do not decide to end my suffering by suicide.. to say I have not thought of it would be another lie.
    I need to look at the blessings in my life and not the curse I have inside.. my cup is really mostly full..however sometimes I feel being transgender may be for me terminal..and I may die from it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anon. I am so broken and sad for the short story you shared here. I was wrong about a lot of things when I wrote the post above. I should go through and re-edit it, perhaps... I remember what those feelings were like... that transitioning would only "take away," that it would only be, could only be "selfish." But dying because of pride and fear was selfish.

    About a month after I wrote this, my depression had brought me back, once again, to suicide. I was terrified of being like that again, and realized that the life I could give my family as this "man" was so little compared to what I could give as myself. I was so dead inside that I was distant already.. it had been coming on over so many years, and only getting worse. I don't know if that has been your story... especially with grand kids.. it must be so terrifying to think of "forcing" a change on everyone. It is, ultimately, up to you.

    I can guarantee you that a 'grandfather' who slowly disappeared and eventually took 'his' life out of neglect or action, will be far far worse for them than a healthy grandmother. One way or the other, they loose the man, you know?

    In the end, as a man, I was only waiting to die, and that is not life at all. I feel so deeply for you, and it breaks my heart to think of all the pressures on you to stay as you are... I wish I could help in some more tangible way. You are beautiful and valuable, and worth loving. Hang in there, girl!

    -Hailey-
    http://sites.google.com/site/becominghaileyb/welcome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Hailey,
    I must say knowing I am not alone does make me feel better. The shame is not there anymore if kept in private..
    Wife saw Manning on the news last night before I could change the channel on the TV and I knew here reaction would be like most in society.. It hurt me to see her act so uncaring for another human..she may do it partly out of fear of what I had come out with so long ago. I hope Manning gets the treatment she deserves..
    I don't honestly know if I will make it or not. I have been able to cope so well although in the closet but still acting out. Nothing feels better to me than to feel female
    I asked my wife why she loved me so much and she said because I am so kind and have compassion for others. I cry easily at movies more so than her.. I have to hide it sometimes but I am an emotional person. I am in sales do well everyone is drawn to me in a way I can not explain. I think its the fact that I have GID. I may over compensate because I have never felt comfortable in a male body..
    I am in all respect a women in a man's body wondering when the suffering will end. I really think if I was given a terminal diagnosis I would be happy about it... knowing I won't suffer much longer and could go out with grace. Although not without sharing what I have been through with everyone that lives knowing they would have compassion on me in the dying process. I want people to be educated so if young children have these feelings and there is a proper way to diagnose they can get the help they deserve.
    In the end Hailey I think I am a survivor...
    I have hardly eaten in the last few days since this came back to me like a wave that keeps crashing on me and the girl wanting out. I feared this would happen for many years thinking I could hide. Not sure the outcome but I will stay in touch and if I feel comfortable may give you an email address and we can talk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Hailey,
    In my note I did not thank you for your compassion and I am grateful for your caring.. Thank you so much.
    Please hang in there. I know when you make your decision, whatever it will be will be right for you.
    I have a lot of soul searching to do.. making an appointment with a therapist to talk things over. I am scared, I know they will thing transition is the way to go. The great thing about life is that its such a miracle to just be alive. Take care....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad I can help, even if only a little! I'm so sorry about where your wife is with this... mine was in a similar position, and is much, much better now. It was still pretty hard for a while there.

    I'd love to talk (email, etc..) You can send me your email address here: https://sites.google.com/site/becominghaileyb/ask-me-a-question

    It's secure (well, as secure as gmail) and comes only to me. Then I can email you my address. (Same goes for any other followers out there!)

    I'd love to hear how things go with your therapist. I'm sure you feel like your whole world is about to unravel... you can do it. Just keep breathing.

    All my love,

    -Hailey-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, This besides the amount of children ( I have a daughter) Is me. I am 27 and after 7 years of marriage and hints finally came out to my wife 2 weeks ago. While she said she "sorta knew" and I had told her prior to marriage I had some "issues", She believes that we can work through this and "God will get us past it". I am so torn between believing her and the crushing depression of being forever attached to this mask. I don't know what to do, but these words you have written are EXACTLY 100% what I have been going through. Right down to the almost non-existent "relationship" with my parents. I feel like I am slowly killing my wife's husband in front of her. What's worse is how loving and understanding she has been about everything. Our relationship is the most important thing in the world to me besides my faith. And I don't believe transitioning is wrong (in and of itself) but how can something that would hurt so many people be right? I feel soooo damn selfish. I hurt. I remember times of being happy, why is it so hard now? Why does the dysphoria get worse? Im sorry I'm rambling. I really just want to know if you have any advice. Anything you would have told yourself if you could go back to this post. Pretend I am time traveling you. What would you say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon,
      My reply hit (and far exceeded) the html limit on this website. Didn't realize there was one of those. So I posted it here:

      https://sites.google.com/site/becominghaileyb/blog/aletterandareply

      All my love,

      -Hailey-

      Delete
  13. Hi Anon,
    My reply hit (and far exceeded) the html limit on this website. Didn't realize there was one of those. So I posted it here:

    https://sites.google.com/site/becominghaileyb/blog/aletterandareply

    All my love,

    -Hailey-

    ReplyDelete